Answers for the Western Africa Quiz!
What religion did Mansa Musa help spread through a large part of West Africa?
What was the usefulness of the practice of silent barter?
Silent barter ensured that trading was peaceful and that locations of mines remained secret.
A technology that the early people of Ghana learned was
how to work with iron.
A process in which people exchange goods without ever contacting each other is
What was Ghana’s army for?
kept trade routes safe from bandits.
According to legend, Mali’s rise to power began under what ruler?
The ____________________ allowed many people to live in West Africa.
The storytellers of early West Africa were called ____________________
Kings and queens might wear ____________________ on special occasions.
All people need ____________________ in their diets to survive.
Why was salt valuable in West Africa?
All people need salt to survive. It can be used to preserve food and make bland food tasty.
How are music and dance used in West Africa?
They are used for group entertainment, to help people honor their history, and to mark special occasions. One example is that different dances are used for weddings and funerals.
This is where you will find the correct answers for the Southern Africa Review
1 Great Zimbabwe C. a large stone-walled town build by the Shona
2. features F. characteristics
3. Boers D. Afrikaner frontier farmers in South Africa
4. Apartheid G. South Africa’s policy of separation of races
5. sanctions B. economic or political penalties imposed by one country on another to force a change in policy
6. townships H. separate areas with clusters of tiny homes for black South Africans
7. escarpment A. the steep face at the edge of a plateau or other raised area
8. enclave E. a small territory surrounded by foreign territory
The following should be answered in complete sentences. These are just the answers. Make sure you are writing in sentences!!!
a. Kalahari, Namib
b. The wettest part of the region is the east coast and the island of Madagascar, while the western part of the region is very dry.
c. More than one answer….. People have tended to settle in places that have good water resources and good land for farming or raising livestock.
Study hard!!!! Short quiz tomorrow!